Tuesday, February 3, 2009

What did you do this weekend?

I am reading "Elder Barsanuphius of Optina"  and came across a story that made me stop and think.  He was hearing confession of one of the young men who made a pilgrimage to Optina.  The  Elder reminded the young man the the young man had decided to go to an opera on a saturday night instead of going to church.  This was on the eve of St Nicolas feast.  The young man thought that by going to church on sunday he would still be honoring the Saints feast.  He chose to enjoy himself that evening instead of honoring the Saint.  Hmmmm.  Every weekend there is church.  Sometimes there are services during the week.   I should go and confess and commune right?  But there always seems to be some excuse not to go.  Football game on this morning that I have to watch.  I had a long week and need to get some sleep.  You get the idea.  How many vacation days do I have this year?  Now I wonder what really is more important?  

1 comment:

Xen Xen said...

You should pop back on here and write down some of your thoughts.